Its original construction dates back to the first half of the 12th century, although it was reformed in 1654. Part of the nave and the entire façade remain from the Romanesque period.
The western façade is made up of a doorway with a double archivolt supported by two pairs of attached columns that are very curious in that they have the inverted bases of other columns as capitals. It also has a loophole window, a bell tower with two arches that support a triangular pediment with a central oculus and an Agnus Dei with a cross crowning the whole. The two baptismal fonts located at the entrance to the temple, and the one inside, also seem to be of Romanesque origin.
The rest of the construction is of baroque style, highlighting the beautiful altarpiece that houses inside. It is believed that the statue under the arcosolium belongs precisely to the parish priest who promoted the Baroque reform of the 17th century.
At the foot of the facade is the tomb - anonymous by express wish - of the wise priest and astronomer Ramón María Aller Ulloa, born in this parish in the Pazo de Filgueiroa, to whom we owe the construction, in his residence in Lalín, of the first observatory astronomy of Galicia.