Declared Natural Monument, one of seven existing ones in Galicia. This forest of 45.185 square meters of surface, possesses exceptional species of oaks and chestnut-trees, some of the above mentioned with 30 meters of height and 5 meters and a half of perimeter. They are considered fastest annual growing of Europe.
It was property of “Quiroga” family, inhabitants of the Mainhouse located in a place with the same name, just a few metres away from forest. Just for that, this forest is also known as “Souto de Quiroga”, “Carballeira de Quiroga” or “Fraga de Quiroga”.
In the year 1864, one of the descending ones of this family marries Emilia Pardo Bazán, who, years later, wrote some chapters of her book “Os Pazos de Ulloa” just there, at Mainhouse.
In the middle of the 20th century FAO (United Nations Organization for Food and Agriculture) applied for the forest protection. In the year 1998 it became property of the Council of Agriculture and Environment, being declared Natural Monument in the year 2000.
This forest can be enjoyed with a circular signposted trail, a simple tour equipped with interpretive panels and with 1 hour of estimated duration.